Platform beds are designed as support frames to mattresses. With new materials introduced in the market from time to time, it’s essential to understand how to properly maintain and keep mattress platform beds clean and comfortable throughout the year. But before anything else, you need to consider first what is a platform bed.
A platform bed is the support bed frame that provides a more sleek design, unlike traditionally constructed bed frames. However, there are plenty of options to choose from, including the slatted platform, a floating platform, and the low-profile platform. This simple frame is usually made of materials that create support for mattresses without requiring a box spring.
Click Image to View Price Info of Zinus Suzanne Metal and Wood Platform Bed with Headboard on Amazon
How to Keep Mattress From Sliding On Platform Bed?
The innovative mattress construction today requires an appropriate platform bed to keep it from sliding off. A sleep comfort surface like foam also needs to conform well with the frame so that pressure points and weight will be reduced. It is why understanding what is a platform bed is important if you’re looking for the perfect platform bed.
To prevent your mattress from sliding around when you lie on it, you either need a box spring or a bed frame. It is the main issue for people who have an active sexual life, restless night, or pillow fights for kids. Sometimes, the mattress falls on the flooring when users tend to move around while sleeping. Good thing there are helpful tips to make sure your mattress stays on its original position no matter how much you move while asleep.
Below are proven tips to keep the mattress from moving and slipping off its frame:
1. Use a Non-slip Pad
With modern bedding materials offered today on the market, non-slip mattress pads are only some of the options you can use to prevent the mattress from sliding or tossing. You can choose from rubber options to keep your mattress and bed frame intact all the time.
2. Buy Velcro Stick-on Strips.
The adhesive sides of the strips stick the bottom of the mattress and the bed frame together to stay in place. Make sure that the loop and hook pieces are appropriately attached so that the mattress and box spring are positioned correctly.
3. Get a Bed Frame.
One of the most common ways to avoid the mattress from sliding off is using a quality bed frame. The best one should fit your mattress, not too small and not too big. However, some bed frames offer extra space on their sides to make room for the bedding. Always check the sizes and models before choosing a bed frame for your mattress.
Click Image for Pricing Info of Zinus Shawn 14 Inch SmartBase Mattress Foundation / Platform Bed Frame
What Kind of Mattress for Platform Bed
If you are considering to buy a new mattress for your platform bed, knowing the different mattress models is essential. There are flippable or two-sided mattress types with comfortable materials but aren’t slip-resistant. Also, some are not stable enough, which make them prone to slipping.
Although it’s not an issue when it comes to finding the perfect mattress for platform beds, buying the wrong one can lead to a shorter lifespan of mattresses. Therefore, you need to consider some tips before you choose what the best mattress for a platform bed is.
Check out these tips when getting a new mattress:
1. Find a mattress model that suits your bedding. To make sure that you’re buying the right mattress, review the manufacturer’s manual of your bed. By reading the manual, you’ll find their recommendation for the right mattress and other bedding accessories for an ultimately comfortable sleep.
2. For instance, you can choose an innerspring mattress for your platform bed. You can also select latex and memory foam mattresses. However, these are expensive options.
3. Check if your bed has slats. If you’re planning to use latex and memory foam mattress, the vast gaps in between the slats might damage your mattress’ base layers. So if your platform bed is made with slats, make sure they have smaller gaps.
4. Decide whether to use a heavy or thick mattress. Thicker mattresses are perfect for heavy-built platform beds. On the other hand, if you have a low-quality platform bed, then you should choose a thin cushion to avoid adding much weight on your bed.
5. Consider the height of the mattress you are buying. The decision for this will depend on how low or high you want when sleeping. Besides, you also need to decide on the cushioning and the weight you need for the best comfort.
How to Attach a Headboard to a Platform Bed Frame
Connecting a headboard onto your platform bed can be a challenge. Therefore, understanding the best ways to attach it to your bed and how to raise a platform bed higher is vital to create comfortable bedding. Below are some easy steps to help you out with this procedure:
1. Put the headboard at the back of your bed. Make sure to measure how long the headboard legs are so you will know where to position it from the mattress’ bottom part precisely.
2. With 2×2 inches wood, cut it into two pieces based on the measurement you had on the first step using a cutting tool or handsaw. Make sure to drill four evenly-spaced holes where 3/16 inches bit can fit.
3. Position the headboard onto the bed with the feet standing flat on the flooring. Make sure it is tightly positioned against your platform bed. Hold it and then drill three holes using screw cleats and 5/16 inches drill bit.
4. Put the 3/16 inches bit into your driver and drill through the 5/16 inches holes, creating pilot holes so that your lag screws will be connected to your bed.
5. Drill another four holes on the horizontal rail located between the headboard’s legs. It will make sure your platform bed remains sturdy with the headboard attached.
There are so many things you need to understand about platform beds and mattresses. When you know how to pick the right mattress for your bed, you can surely enjoy a good night’s sleep and wake up recharged the next day.