If you have a new memory foam mattress, it’s essential to understand the rule of thumb before using it. The practice is to wait for at least 48 hours before it expands fully, especially the ones that are still in the box. But if you’re curious what happens if you sleep on a memory foam mattress before 24 hours, then you’re in the right place.
Sleeping on a Memory Foam Mattress Too Soon
There are some essential things to consider before sleeping on a memory foam mattress too soon. For instance, most memory foam mattresses require up to two days before it goes back to its original size and form. After all, these mattresses are vacuum sealed, pressed and rolled tightly to fit in the packaging.
But can you sleep on a memory foam mattress the first night? Well, you can relax, jump, or do whatever you want with your bed as soon as you received it. Using it right away won’t cause any damage but will only speed up the process of expanding the foam.
When you lay down on the mattress, the heat coming from your body will cause the memory foam to expand faster. Nonetheless, the foam can withstand pressure and packaging methods such as rolling it up or vacuum, sealing it into a small box.
Click Image for Pricing Info of Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress That is CertiPUR-US Certified with 180 Night Home Trial
Why It Needs 24 Hours to Expand?
If it’s okay to sleep on your new memory foam without waiting for 24 hours to allow it to expand, then why do we still need 24-48 hours? Simply because it’s alright to lay on your newly purchased memory foam mattress while waiting for it to expand completely.
But another important question is that, what should you do if your mattress takes more than 24 hours to expand fully? Well, there are rare cases wherein compressed memory foam mattresses don’t fully extend. If that’s the case, then you can ask your seller what to do to make it expand or ask for a new one.
10 Best Mattresses in September 2019 on Amazon
If you are looking for the highest rated mattress on Amazon for your platform bed or box spring, here are the best choices we’ve found. Check these to find out if one of them is perfect for your needs.
- Linenspa 10 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- Zinus Memory Foam 6 Inch Green Tea Cot Size Mattress
- Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 6 Inch Mattress
- LINENSPA 6 Inch Innerspring Mattress
- Signature Design by Ashley 10 Inch Chime Express Hybrid Innerspring Firm Mattress
- LUCID Ventilated Design 10 Inch Latex Foam Mattress
- Tuft & Needle Bed in a Box Adaptive Foam Twin Mattress
- PrimaSleep Wave Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress
- Classic Brands Cool Gel Ventilated Gel Memory Foam 10-Inch Mattress
- Best Price Mattress 10-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
Zinus Mattress How Long to Expand
Most Zinus Memory Foam Mattress like the 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress need 48 to 72 hours to relax and decompress and restore to its original shape. That’s why the Zinus company manual advice customers to open the packaging within 72 hours of arrival to make sure the mattress they ordered will fully grow to its potential.
And with the green tea extract infuse in the foam, you will not inhale hazardous and harmful smell with you first open the packaging. It will typically dissipate after laying the mattress in a well-ventilated area.
What to Do When Memory Foam Mattress Not Inflating?
Click Image for Pricing of Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress That is CertiPUR-US Certified with 180 Night Home Trial on Amazon
Memory foams have different thickness levels. You can choose from an 8-inch mattress to a 13-inch memory foam bed. They are designed with open cells to conform to various shapes of sleepers using the bedding. Before they leave the factory, these mattresses are folded and compressed using a machine roller to fit into a small package.
The best way to use a memory foam is to let it expand before using. However, if it’s not inflating, there are simple tricks you can do to enjoy its comfort after 24 hours of arrival. Check these tips to help you out:
- Unbox the memory foam within the three days of arrival. Remove the plastic cover using your hands. Never use any sharp objects like a knife and scissors when removing the mattress from the package to avoid damages.
- Allow the foam to adjust in room temperature, which may take up to a couple of hours until it begins expanding. This step is essential, especially when you get your memory foam in the winter season. Foam mattresses tend to become more brittle if it’s still tight, which can lead to tearing.
- Unroll it in a spare room so the open cells of the memory foam will expand and inflate freely. Separate each layer of the foam carefully to allow them to grow. Pull them in uniform motion with slow and steady hands.
What Are the Possible Reasons Why Lucid Memory Foam Mattress Not Expanding?
If your Lucid memory foam mattress is not expanding, there might be an essential step you haven’t performed after unrolling it. First, it needs time to develop, typically within 72 hours before you can finally use the mattress. So wait for it until it becomes entirely usable in its original size.
Some memory foam mattresses take one week to air out, but they lose the new-foam smell at the same time. It is already fully plumped when you noticed that the smell is gone. And you can use a mattress topper to retain the plumpness of your new memory foam.
The truth is, each mattress has its own expansion time and features. Therefore, the time required before they fully expand will depend on the model and brand you purchased.
Before you can move it to your bedroom, most memory foam mattresses that usually take 24 hours to decompress may still need at least two hours. Waiting for 24 hours or 72 hours to allow a bed to expand is a traditional belief.
Most of the mattresses offered on the market today only take a short time to decompress, and you can sleep on the right after unboxing them. So there’s nothing to worry about sleeping on your mattress too soon. You won’t damage your memory foam while sleeping on it during the first night.
The key is in the type of memory foam used in your mattress. The higher quality the foam, the better and faster it will expand in less than 24 hours.